Thursday 24 September 2009

Support Your Local Record Shops...

...AKA lets fuck HMV! Here at London School of Sound we dig little damp disorganised record stores owned by enthusiasts rather than faceless corporate giants pedaling AOR and my favorites are...



...Revival Records on Berwick St, its hit and miss but if you go with a zen pure mind and a sense of adventure you can come out with a load of treasures. Many is the time I have despaired of ever finding that rare Salsoul comp that is now £80 on Amazon only to uncover it with trembling fingers in Revival's racks. Possibly the greatest day of my life was finding the CD of the book "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", worth it for the edit of "Love is The Message" by Danny Krivit...I can only imagine that the birth of a daughter would bring greater joy to me...If I had a daughter I would call her Clamidia, such a pretty name..

Soul Jazz on 7 Broadwick Street. What a terrific load of reissues these guys do, I often buy them just for the packaging. Brazilian pop, Kraut Rock, Funk, Disco, mad free jazz, they got the lot. My last trip there I got an Albert Ayler album of jazz splatter, a comp by Mark Stewart electro dub and would have got a This Heat CD if they hadn't "misfiled" it, this means that it was the last copy and someone in the shop wanted it for themselves but thems the breaks!

Exotica, they don't seem to have a website and maybe the name has changed or they have gone under but this used to be a great vinyl only shop on Portobello Road. It had a distinctive red and yellow sign and reminded me of a tribal hut, but stuffed with weird garage rock rarities rather than shrunken heads. Worth a trip to see if its still there.

Finally after trecking round all day and now laden with goodies I usually go for some herbal tea to re balance my chi at the excellent Yumchaa on 45 Berwick Street, sometimes they play The Kinks and sometimes they play The Eagles, I hope you get lucky...

Anyway happy digging..

maningrey


2 comments:

  1. U forget FLASHBACK just seconds away from LSS north and source of many a cheap quick hit of retail therapy :) spend your money there and keep it open, for I am lazy and it pleases me to have a good record shop seconds from my house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I like Flashback, even though they "misfiled" a Latin rock cd I had been looking for for about five years...Nice beardy guy who always rocks out to the Stones at the end of the day as he is kicking customers out. I have twice bought Country music compelations here in an attempt to broaden my mind and hated them...

    ReplyDelete